Re: more overly-generic package names from gnustep

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:22:43PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 05:14:38AM -0800, Number Six wrote:
> > I have some recent experience with this: I made my little package called
> > "pim."  Too generic.  The solution was to name the package "tupim", the
> > and install /usr/bin/tupim, /usr/share/man/man1/tupim.1, and symlink
> > pim -> tupim, pim.1 -> tupim.1, unless there is already a file by that
> > name present.
>
> Ew! What happens when a package called 'pim' is installed after yours,
> rather than before?

The desired behavior, no?  Their 'pim' is called up instead of mine, and
mine can be still launched by 'tupim'.  Munge the symlink as desired.

(Although I really should be using a proper /etc/alternatives instead of
manually doing the symlink.  I'll start doing that.)

But if the guy installs a *binary* named pim, well, then we just can't
coexist, or my app can no longer by referred to by its generic name, but
only by it's specific name.  Isn't that acceptible?  His app will just
clobber my symlink.