Re: Proposal: regular bug squashing parties and weak freeze

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:57:31AM +0100, Roland Stigge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15 Mar 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Suggestion:
> > - a weak freeze of unstable in the near future
> > - regular bug squashing parties with 5day-NMUs
> >
> > Where I'd be willing to help:
> > I will organize weekly or bi-weekly bug squashing parties with a
> > meeting in IRC (perhaps connected to local bug squashing feasts anywhere
> > in the world).
>
> Remember what the RM wrote on 19 Aug 2003 [1]:
>
> > Obviously, we also need to massively reduce the release-critical bug
> > count.  As such, you should consider every weekend from now until the
> > release a "bug squash party" in the usual sense.
>
> AFAIK, this policy didn't change since.

It might not have changed, but it wasn't followed much (and the release
plan presented in the mail you quoted is also obsolete).

My main point is something different:
You need to start a freeze before fixing bugs becomes effective.
Otherwise all bug fixes get lost in the stream of new bugs.

> bye,
>   Roland

cu
Adrian