Re: Policy on Account creation and deletion?

Hi, Marc Haber wrote:

> Matthias Urlichs:
>>Q.E.D.
>
> So who is going to file the bug against bind9?

Checking user existence by way of chown isn't a bug.

>>> dpkg documentation says that the only difference between
>>> remove and purge is that remove doesn't delete conffiles while purge does.
>>
>>Deleting an /etc/passwd entry would fall under that restriction, I'd say.
>
> What restriction do you mean?

Deleting a conffile. If you think of /etc/passwd as a subdirectory with
one line per file, each of these files/lines/whatever can be thought of as
being some package's conffile.

>>> For the record: exim4 does remove its user in postrm on purge, bind9
>>> leaves the user on the system.
>>>
>>IMHO both are valid.
>
> Can you elaborate please? Under which circumstances is exim4 right, and
> under which other circumstances is bind9 right?

I don't know. Personally I see no big overriding reason for removing the
user entry, but then I don't see a big reason for keeping it either.

--
Matthias Urlichs