Re: Configuration (File) System

I'm just thinking about future of Gnu/Linux desktop systems. We have to store
some package specific metadata into filesystems. Package management must be
done in filesystem level (probably a network file system). If file foo
belongs to package bar, filesystem must be aware of this. There may be lots
of advantages, just an example: You are a desktop user, and Openoffice is not
installed on your system. You've got an email, which contains an excel
document, and you have to see it as soon as possible. What must we do?
Downloading whole Openoffice package about 50+ MB? But your friend near by
you, has openoffice installed. You just want to an excel viewer. So, why we
can't use excel viewer of your friend? It can be done automatically (with
proper authentication setup) and your Gnu/Linux system browse the whole local
network, finds installed excel viewer applications and downloads them,
install them and you can look at the excel document. Or, if finds any excel
viewer, it does not necessary to install, it opens the document on your
friend's computer and it takes only X output.

murat,