Re: Policy on Account creation and deletion?

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:47:46PM +0100, Florent Rougon wrote:
> Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > I'd consider it a feature to see .bak files from ages ago vanish when
> > the package they have been created for is purged.
>
> Yeah, I think the argument here was, tu put it bluntly, that every shit
> touched by the admin is sacred. Where "shit" means in this context admin
> stuff placed in the packaging system's realm, as opposed to stuff under
> /{var,usr}/local, /home, etc.
>
> Anyway, I don't think there's a clearcut right or wrong way here, since
> the base assumption was that the admin didn't follow good, established
> practice for managing his filesystem.

It's a good, established practice (although perhaps becoming obsolete in
favour of better revision control systems) for admins to keep /etc in
RCS, which creates ,v files in the current directory and stores history
there. While the case mentioned wasn't in /etc, I think we should take
account of practices like these while considering 'rm -rf'.