Re: spam closes Debian bugs!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 05:54:51PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:54:11PM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:
> > What about your own spam precautions? Debian _does_ take the least of
> > spam precautions. From memory, we have spamassassin against debbugs,
> > although as mentioned earlier, not crossassassin... yet.
>
> Debian takes the least effort possible to block spam.  Maybe spamassassin is
> enabled on the lists but it is not enabled for the BTS or personal e-mail
> AFAIK.

I don't know about the BTS, or personal e-mail, but as far as lists are
concerned, we are not doing 'the least effort possible'. In fact, we are
doing quite the opposite. We have not placed the burden of stopping spam
on users who try to send legitimate mail, which would be the 'least
effort possible' on our part, but instead make mail run through a number
of different filters. Sure, we could do more, for example, some
people[1] have requested we install pyzor as well, but we still stop a
lot of spam from coming through.

Since the 1st of March, there have been 3528 messages blocked from going
onto debian-devel. That's over 50 Mb worth of spam. When you look at
numbers since the start of the year, we have stopped 257 Mb in 16512
messages.

Those numbers are for just one mailing list, and do not include the
600-odd messages that get stopped from going onto that list every day at
the SMTP stage.

	Cheers,

Pasc

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=228228

--
Pascal Hakim                                            +61 4 0341 1672