Re: spam closes Debian bugs!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:28:22AM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 02:35:28PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > > It already exists.  The problem is that *everyone* can control bugs in the BTS.  Spammers unintentionally closing bugs is not the problem, it's just one of the possible symptoms.

> > No, the problem is that someone wants to change this behavior.

> What the fuck?  Why does being a DD or a bug submitter mean that you must be
> continually bombarded with spam, because Debian fails to take the least of
> precautions or spam prevention for fear of inconveniencing a few people?

What about your own spam precautions? Debian _does_ take the least of
spam precautions. From memory, we have spamassassin against debbugs,
although as mentioned earlier, not crossassassin... yet.

> I'm getting so much spam through my debian account that I'm already
> considering closing it down.  We must now tolerate spammers closing bugs?

We don't tolerate it, we put up with it as a neccessary evil to allow
free and easy access to the BTS. (For specific values of 'we' obviously)

> There are a lot of large projects, including the mozilla project, that
> require addresses to be registered with a password just to submit a bug.
> This is the model we should be moving toward.  The current situation is
> totally unacceptable.

And I'm sure they miss out on bugs (mine, for example) where the finder
doesn't feel the need for _another_ username/password combo just to
submit a single bug.

For larger projects such as Mozilla, they can afford to lose those bugs,
someone else will find 'em. For source-forge hosted projects, one
user/pass covers many many projects, and is useful to have.

For Debian, it strikes me as a pain to have a user/password BTS
system, or anything that will prevent me running reportbug from
whatever random Debian machine I happen to have hit the bug from.

A pseudo-header to match the email address for controlling bugs,
I guess that's acceptable to me. (I usually use control@b.d.o
anyway) However, for _submitting_ bugs, a missing Packages:
header will bring SPAM to the eyes of the debbugs maintainers
quickly anyway, I expect.

Why make it _hard_ to report bugs?
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.