Re: Screw non-free.

> > Does anyone remember what other (if any) non-free packages were
> > considered `big and important'?
>
> PGP, and RSA/IDEA modules for GnuPG.  Maybe even StarOffice, but I'm not
> sure if it was ever packaged.

Hmmm, also I seem to recall Adobe's acroread was in this category once,
but it doesn't seem to be in non-free anymore anyway (and xpdf seems
basically up to the task these days).

A quick trawl with aptitude shows nothing particularly major in
non-free.

As for somewhat-popular-but-not-really-mega-huge packages, I made the
following little list (according to my tastes; there's lots of other
random stuff of course):

   doc-rfc*
   ckermit
   *angband*
   snes9x*
   lha
   xmame*
   povray
   scsh
   mpg123
   xpdf-(various asian languages)
   nvidia-*

Stuff like the above is not a very compelling reason to keep non-free
IMHO...

[The xpdf-(various asian languages) thing is a bit weird -- it seems to
be because they include `adobe CMAP files', whatever those are...]

-miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I