Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> it's somehow OK for you to complain about my occasional, in-context and
> grammatically-correct use of certain English words, but it is *NOT OK* for me
> to make any complaint about the constant petty idiocy and pedantic spitefulness
> on this list.

No, that's not what I said.  You are misrepresenting me, which is,
well, dishonest.  Shame on you.

You are welcome to criticize if you like, but your tone and your
language is not acceptible.  Got it?  I have not said that you cannot
make "any complaint", I have said that you must couch such a complaint
by using decent and acceptible tones.

Moreover, the fact that you don't like something--even if it's
something bad--does not justify your use of language.

> but i forget - certain words in the English language are allegedly beyond the
> pale, they are a magically perfect excuse for ignoring the actual substance of
> what someone has to say and to instead concentrate on whining about a few
> choice words.

You didn't say anything which had not already been addressed; for
example, Sam Hartman brought up the very same idea, in a polite tone
suitable for adult conversation, and I did reply.

This does not excuse you for your language, which is unacceptable.

The words you use, and the tone you use it, have meaning, and you
cannot suddenly hide and pretend that you didn't intend that meaning.
Of course you did intend that meaning, and it is inappropriate and
unacceptable.

You can criticize all you like, but you must adhere to a the basic
rules of respect and civility as you do so.

> unless the person standing up happens to be standing up against your favourite
> behaviour of idiotic pedantry - in that case, then whinge and whine and moan
> and make a huge fuss over nothing just to distract from the content.

No, I would complain about anyone who used your language on the Debian
list, but nobody else seems to be so childish as to throw temper
tantrums in quite your way.

Thomas