Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 04:34:17PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > NOTA should be on any call for votes, but especially any ballot that has a
> > "Further Discussion" option should also have a "none of the above" option
> > (aka the "STFU about it" option).
>
> It's impossible to enforce a "STFU about it" option.

similarly, it's impossible to enforce a "Further Discussion" option yet it's
there on the ballot.

> Well, I suppose it's possible in theory, but I don't think we have the
> political will to expel our developers from the project, or ban our users
> from our mailing lists, if they continue to discuss something you'd like to
> see them STFU about.

you miss the point.   this is not about extreme actions like you're suggesting
(hint: try arguing without the straw-men, you might begin to develop some
credibility that way).

the point is that a "NOTA" option is symbolic, just as "Further Discussion" is
symbolic.  it makes it easier (when your lot brings this up again in approx 3
months time, as will inevitably happen) to say "STFU ABOUT IT, WE ALREADY
VOTED", without your lot being able to excuse your rudeness with bogus
protestations of "but some people voted for Further Discussion".

and just in case you miss the point of this message: some of us are sick to
death of this topic.

craig