Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:14:35PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 06:55:38PM -0600, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
> > - - - -=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > [   ] Choice 1: Cease active support of non-free [3:1 majority needed]
> > [   ] Choice 2: Re-affirm support for non-free
> > [   ] Choice 3: Further Discussion
> > - - - -=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> this vote is missing a "None of the above" option.

Yes.

> this is significant because it makes it impossible to put NOTA ahead of
> "Further Discussion".

Yes.

> NOTA should be on any call for votes, but especially any ballot that has a
> "Further Discussion" option should also have a "none of the above" option (aka
> the "STFU about it" option).

It's impossible to enforce a "STFU about it" option.

Well, I suppose it's possible in theory, but I don't think we have the
political will to expel our developers from the project, or ban our
users from our mailing lists, if they continue to discuss something
you'd like to see them STFU about.

I could be wrong, of course, and you are free to propose a GR
establishing just such a policy.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I must despise the world which does
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    not know that music is a higher