Re: The political decision about non-free

El lun, 08-03-2004 a las 20:22, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho escribió:
> On 20040308T183738+0100, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > We don't have software patents in Europe (we will have but _now_, they
> > are not valid).
>
> The European Patent Office has accepted software patents for some time
> now.  Perhaps they would fail a court case, but, as somebody said, do
> you want us to be the test case?

That's not true 100%:
http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/plen0924/index.en.html

Of course I'm not suggesting that Debian should be the test case, my
mail was only pointing that we don't have software patents (yet).

Also, if you read http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw you will see
that those patents are not for all European countries, they are only for
France, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom.

BTW, we should not care about the LZW patent any more after July 7,
2004, that's when the last patent expires (the Canadian one).

Cheers.

P.S.: Someone should found a way to invalidate 100% software patents in
countries where they are not valid. Fucked Mr. money's world...

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Debian GNU/Linux Sid (PowerPC)