Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:43:23PM +0100,
 Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> FWIW, and at the risk of starting a my-scripting-language-is-better-
> -than-yours argument:
>
> Python.
> Every error whatsoever throws an exception.

I love Python (partly because of that very same reason) *but* the
choice of a programming language, for a practical task (not an
academic assignment) should not only depend on intrinsic
characteristics of the language but also on other things:

* the abundance of high-quality (tested, documented and used in the
real world) libraries for various tasks (Perl and the CPAN are clear
winners in that respect).

* the abundance of programmers, articles and books, to help other
people to maintain the work (Perl wins here also).

I do not suggest an official Debian Policy for Debian System
Administration Scripts (too much opportunity for flamewars) but, if
you want an advice, I feel like the criteria above are often ignored
when choosing a programming language.