RE: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 22:45, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > Ruby. It's just, so nice. OO, GC, minimal syntax overhead - a proper
> > language but as close to a "scripting" language as you can get. SDL
> > bindings, GNOME bindings and 50 more libs too.
> >
> > I haven't used Python,
>
> You obviously haven't *really* used Perl as well. ;-)  Except for the
> "minimal syntax overhead", all features you mentioned above do apply
> to Perl likewise.

You are correct.

Here is someone's comparison from the discuss@lists.userlinux.com list,
which might be useful for people:

     From:
Alexander
Neundorf
<neundorf@kde.org>
       To:
discuss@lists.userlinux.com
Re:
[Discuss]
[Fwd: ruby]
     Date:
Sun, 15 Feb
2004
20:06:10
+0100

On Sunday 15 February 2004 16:49, David MacQuigg wrote:
> At 04:57 PM 2/15/2004 +1100, Zen wrote:
> > > My ruby story:
> > >
> > > I had a friend show me some code generation stuff. Ruby is nice.
In
> > > fact, I think it is the ultimate scripting language out there.
> > > I'm now converting my hello world to Java, and discovered that I
> > > probably need a new Java yaml parser, since the only one readily
> > > downloadable is hand-coded and has a specific interface that,
> > > altogether, makes it not as malleable as I'd like. (Also, compared
with
> > > ruby, Java has a lot of syntax overhead - yet ruby is a full
language,
> > > completely OO and garbage-collected; I really am amazed that
something
> > > so nice exists.)
>
> Have you tried www.python.org  Two hours and I was hooked !!  I
switched
> from Java about a year ago, and never looked back.  I don't know about
> Ruby, but Python is far more popular ( outside of Japan ),

At first I tried perl, it was horrible. Then I tried Python, it was ok.
Still
the OO syntax seemed a bit strange to me, as well as some other
syntactic
things.
Then I tried Ruby and currently I think I found the cleanest language
there
is. Nice and clean and much better documented than Python (at least what
found).

So, I recommend trying Ruby for everybody who likes Python :-)

Bye
Alex