Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

Hi, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> I'm firing up an Alioth project[1] to make an Enterprise grade central
> management interface (ala the Red Hat Network) for Debian, and I'm
> wondering whether to do it in Perl (which I know) or Python (which I do
> not, but wouldn't mind a good excuse to learn).

FWIW, and at the risk of starting a my-scripting-language-is-better-
-than-yours argument:

Python.

My main reason for this statement, entirely subjective but based on
personal experience:

Every error whatsoever throws an exception. That's far better from a
quality POV than to check the error return of _every_single_statement_,
because (a) nobody actually programs that way, and (b) if you actually do
program that way your code will be twice as long and ten times as
unreadable.

Check out [1]ESR's experience, it pretty much matches mine.

YMMV, and all that.

[1] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=3882

--
Matthias Urlichs