Re: gcc as optional

Martin Pitt wrote:

On 2004-01-27 12:54 +0100, A Mennucc1 wrote:

I here propose that gcc (and companions) become "Priority: optional"

I second that. I often install Debian on routers and firewalls (of the
class Pentium 60 with 400 MB HD), and the first thing I always have to
do is to get rid of this bunch of development tools. Also, the
computer of my girlfriend does not need a compiler and so do many
workstations.

No. One of our power is the sources, let user install programs (and
kernels), from sources easy.
On routers and firewall you will remove alot more programs,
so removing also gcc don't make a big difference.

"USE THE SOURCES!"

ciao
	cate