Re: [debian-devel] Re: The stable/testing/unstable branches not a solution ?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:39:24PM +0000, Magos?nyi ?rp?d wrote:

> > I quite admire the way GNOME are doing releases these days; "we release
> > on this date, if your code isn't in, it's in the next release."
> > Seems to be working well for them.
> Let's do the same.

I think we're doing the same already, and that's why there is software
in stable that's obsolete even before stable releases.

You also have the problem that sometimes you _can't_ release without
some software having RC bugs (like, sometimes glibc or d-i have RC bugs :)

Anyway, there is a big difference between Debian and Gnome to be taken
into account: Debian sid is at the moment something like 13882 packages.
Sarge is less, but the order of magnitude is the same.  Gnome is _so
much smaller_ (and completely included in the Debian package set :).

Making 10/20/50/100 (how many are they?) gnome applications work
together is a radically different task than making thousand or tens of
thousand packages work together.

That is what makes us unique, what is showing scalability issues at the
moment and what requires us to have some new, innovative ideas.

Ciao,

Enrico