Build-depends method

When packaging a new package, what's a methodical way to find *all*
its Build-Depends packages? Currently, I go through the automatically
generated list of Depends packages, and add the corresponding -dev
package. Last my last package though, I missed that the package
depends on flex and yacc. So  my rigorous method is, upload package,
wait for FTBFS bug, add Build-Depends, wash, rinse, repeat. I know,
you're allowed to cry now. How should this work?

Please cc me in your reply.
Thanks,
Shaun