Re: Build-depends method

Hi!

On 2004-01-25 11:29 -0800, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> When packaging a new package, what's a methodical way to find *all*
> its Build-Depends packages? Currently, I go through the automatically
> generated list of Depends packages, and add the corresponding -dev
> package. Last my last package though, I missed that the package
> depends on flex and yacc. So  my rigorous method is, upload package,
> wait for FTBFS bug, add Build-Depends, wash, rinse, repeat. I know,
> you're allowed to cry now. How should this work?

You really should test whether your build-dependencies are sufficient
by building it within a clean sid pbuilder environment. If that works,
then all required build dependencies are declared (however, there may
be some which are not necessary). IMHO waiting for FTBFS bugs is a
waste of both human resources (these bugs need to be written and dealt
with) and autobuilder time.

I always determine a minimal set of build-deps iteratively like this:
I start only with the "obvious" dependencies, then pdebuild (that is a
script which builds the package in a pbuilder chroot), and look where
the building stops. Mostly it cries for missing header files, then a
'dpkg -S foo.h' gives the package providing it. Repeat until package
builds.

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org