Re: Build-depends method

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 11:29, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> When packaging a new package, what's a methodical way to find *all*
> its Build-Depends packages? Currently, I go through the automatically
> generated list of Depends packages, and add the corresponding -dev
> package. Last my last package though, I missed that the package
> depends on flex and yacc. So  my rigorous method is, upload package,
> wait for FTBFS bug, add Build-Depends, wash, rinse, repeat. I know,
> you're allowed to cry now. How should this work?

auto-apt uses some LD_PRELOAD hacks to track down build-depends.  From
the man page:

auto-apt debuild [debuildopts]
              Run debuild(1) in auto-apt environments,  and  show
              Build-Depends: estimation.  Recommended to use with
              -s option of auto-apt.

I've never used it for this purpose, but I have used it to install
non-packaged software from source, and it's a huge time-saver.

You'll probably still want to run your package through pbuilder, but
auto-apt might save you a few iterations and a lot of hassle.

Best,
Rob