Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:36:55PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:

> Debian has had a translation infrastructure for years.  Face it, the

Says who?

> requirements are too high, the rewards are too low in order for Debian
> to attract qualified and interested translators.  Something needs to
> change to make the role of translator more attractive.  Giving them
> direct responsibility over their own package and making translation
> generally more comfortable has the potential to achieve this.

You know, the problem really is that our current infrastructure, which is
quite inexistant, unless you consider the "Central Debian translation
statistics" [1]. I don't, because it is hardly an infrastructure, it's a
great tool (thanks Denis!) to view the status of different things but it
does not help the translation teams that much, it does not:

a) include stuff such as documentation, manpages or, even, d-i (because
there is really no way to handle that properly at the moment)

b) help translator teams in the translate->review->publish in the
BTS->check for updates process

c) define "priorities" so translation teams can put work first where more
users will benefit

d) provide tools for translators who do not know how to handle po files at
all

Some teams (like the French) have worked around it introducing their own
tools in the loop, but there's hardly an infraestructure for all of the
teams.

All of those are desperately needed. Save for d), I consider using po files
part of the "qualification" of a proper translator (even if I make my
mistakes from time to time).

Regards

Javi

[1] http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/