Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:59:08PM -0600, Warren Turkal wrote:
> Henning Makholm wrote:
>
> > AFAIU the (unwritten) policy is that the multiuser runlevels (2
> > through 5) are avaliable for the local sysadmin to customize according
> > to his own particular needs. If packages begin treating them
> > differently, it may interfere with local customizations.
>
> Maybe we should only reserve 7-9 for local customizations. Is there anyone
> here who uses more than 3 levels of customization?

Almost. On my laptop, I've got gdm in runlevel 2, no gdm but extra
getty's in runlevel 3, and no gdm, extra getty's and no power management
(to get full performance even if on the road) in runlevel 4. I'm
thinking of configuring a "no power, with X" runlevel, and a "minimal"
runlevel which would run with "almost nothing", just the basics required
to do something useful.

Good enough? ;)

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."