Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:26:53PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> 2. different header files per architecture
>
> The differences in the headers can be merged by using preprocessor
> conditionals.

How to include arch-specific information that is probed at configure
time? What about porting to new archs when there's no preprocessor
conditional yet?

> 3. support binaries in the -dev package
>
> I'm thinking about gtk-config, sdl-config, kde-config, ...
> Are all of those scripts or are there some compiled programs in hte
> mix?

Same problem here. Those scripts may contain arch-specific data, eg.
arch-dependent CFLAGS.

> I suggest splitting any binary programms (if there are any) out into a
> -helper package and have the -dev depend on them.

Now instead of -dev, the -helper packages conflict. So what was the
purpose again?

Daniel.