Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

* Daniel Kobras (kobras@debian.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:26:53PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > 2. different header files per architecture
> >
> > The differences in the headers can be merged by using preprocessor
> > conditionals.
>
> How to include arch-specific information that is probed at configure
> time? What about porting to new archs when there's no preprocessor
> conditional yet?

I wouldn't worry too much about porting to a new arch prior to their
being a preprocessor conditional.  If that's the case then the toolchain
isn't ready yet and we shouldn't be trying to distribute packages on
those archs yet anyway.  As for arch-specific information, not sure what
you mean there, if it's arch-specific in a header file, put preprocessor
conditionals around it.

> > 3. support binaries in the -dev package
> >
> > I'm thinking about gtk-config, sdl-config, kde-config, ...
> > Are all of those scripts or are there some compiled programs in hte
> > mix?
>
> Same problem here. Those scripts may contain arch-specific data, eg.
> arch-dependent CFLAGS.

So you check what the architecture is in the script, that's not terribly
difficult.

> > I suggest splitting any binary programms (if there are any) out into a
> > -helper package and have the -dev depend on them.
>
> Now instead of -dev, the -helper packages conflict. So what was the
> purpose again?

The purpose is to avoid having to go through every source package and
change it's Build-Depend line, if at all possible.

	Stephen