Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:21:22AM +0100]:
> > Assuming everything in /usr/lib gets magically moved to /usr/lib64 by
> > dpkg, what if the postinst (run after the magic moving) fiddles in
> > /usr/lib ?  You'd have to rewrite postinst as well, in which case it's
> > no longer the same postinst file after all.
>
> dpkg doesn't move that, wouldn't work with linked binaries. The
> packages have to be compiled for /usr/lib64/.
>
> If you fiddle around in /usr/lib in postinst you have to make two
> seperate postinst scripts. Using some ${libprefix} substitution during
> build comes to mind.
>
> But again thats a general multiarch problem and irelevant to the
> renaming issue.

I forsee this will create a huge wave of RC bugs because of developers
who didn't get it right or did not have a multiarch environment to
play around. Currently, people know how to build packages, and it
works (mostly) fine across our currently supported platforms. This
scheme will make people go nuts :(

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366