Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

Scripsit Jesus Climent <jesus.climent@hispalinux.es>

> We need either the much discussed mechanism to avoid getting
> packages up from a common config storage or a way to store the
> desired setting in a update-rc.d related database, so that package
> upgrades that call the re-set of a link need a -f (force) to
> re-create links that the root has disabled.

Such a mechanism already exists: update-rc.d is documented to do
nothing if there is already any links pointing to the init.d
script. That means that even a Knn link should prevent upgrades of the
package from relinking.

Of course, a user who just deletes all of the Snn links and does not
add a Knn one still gets bitten, and unfortunately that is what seems
the simplest and most correct cause of action for a user who hasn't
carefully studied the documentation provided.

--
Henning Makholm          "Gå ud i solen eller regnen, smil, køb en ny trøje,
                   slå en sludder af med købmanden, puds dine støvler. Lev!"