Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> writes:

> * Goswin von Brederlow
>
> | > 	/etc/* -> /etc64/*
> | > 		(config files may be architecture specific)
> |
> | Hardly irregular for libs to have conffig files. Any example?
>
> PAM, though that's not arch-specific.
>
> | > 	*/include/* -> */include64/*
> | > 		(header files may be architecture specific)
> |
> | Use #ifdef __AMD64__ #elif __I386__ ....
>
> eww.  This will be especially fun for asm/ and bits/

Not sure how gcc and libc6 do it currently but they already
manage. I'm fine with keeping it that way.

> | Contents of packages and name of packages are two seperate
> | problems. We are aware of the further problems with the contents and
> | splitting out common files into binary-all packages even more
> | aggresively than its already done seems to be the only way to go for
> | the contents.
>
> It'll mean we'll get a zillion libfoo-dev-common packages, I think.

Yes.

There are 10K packages in debian main and ~2.5K of those are lib
packages, ~0.5K are binary-all. So a full amd64 port would have the
existing 20K packages plus ~2K new -common packages. But keep in mind
that the splitting of the libs would be done over the next 2 or 4
years (1 or 2 releases). Its not like after sarge every maintainer has
to jump and split his package.

MfG
        Goswin