Re: Managing changes to configure.in as patches

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> If autoconf is run ahead of time, things only break if _all_ of the
> following are true:
>
> 1. The user is performing a custom build
>
> 2. The user needs to modify configure.ac, Makefile.am, etc.
>
> 3. autotools have broken themselves since the last time the maintainer ran
> autoconf, automake, etc.
>
> On the other hand, if autoconf is run as part of the build process, then
> things break if the autotools have broken themselves since the last time the
> package was autobuilt, regardless of any other conditions.
>
> I think that the former is preferable.

I much prefer to find out that something is broken now, when I can fix
it, than to find out that it's broken 6 months down the road when it's
been shipped broken on CDs everywhere as part of a stable Debian
release, and cannot be changed.

--
see shy jo