Re: Managing changes to configure.in as patches

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > 2. does not hide problems if it does no longer build with current
> >    autotools
>
> The other approach does not hide problems either; it prevents the problem
> entirely.  It becomes no longer an issue what version of the autotools are
> installed in the build environment.

The fact that a package's maintainer has needed to modify its
configure.ac is a good indication that a user might also have reason to
modify it later. If the autotools then fail to work to generate the
configure for that user, then a hidden problem has indeed surfaced, I'd
say.

--
see shy jo