Re: Managing changes to configure.in as patches

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:15:26AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I think this was discussed sometime ago in debian-devel, and
> I was convinced that it's better to run autoconf/automake as
> part of build process.
>
> It has the advantage of
>
> 1. reducing the number of diffs

diffs are easy to filter by filename (see patchutils); I don't think this
justifies the breakage.

> 2. does not hide problems if it does no longer build with current
>    autotools

The other approach does not hide problems either; it prevents the problem
entirely.  It becomes no longer an issue what version of the autotools are
installed in the build environment.

> 3. It doesn't actually take that much CPU time to run autotools.
>    (running configure script itself seems to be the slowest part).

I don't think this was ever a serious argument against running these tools
during the build; fragility is more than enough reason to avoid it.

--
 - mdz