Re: apt-listchanges (Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility)

On 07-Jan-04, 11:40 (CST), Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> In that case I find it difficult to use NEWS.Debian in good conscience
> to communicate information about changes that I think users need to see.
> While debconf notes are grotty, at least they have good eyeball
> coverage, and it seems to me that they'll result in less confusion and
> fewer user error bugs than yet another file that people won't read.

When you upgrade a whole system, the barrage of debconf is intolerable,
and mostly ignored.

And then they're gone.

Whereas, if I if don't see NEWS.Debian during the install, at least I
can find it in /usr/share/doc/foo when I realize that foo is no longer
working, rather than mucking around in /var/lib/dpkg/info.

The legitimate objection to NEWS.Debian (vs. a debconf note) is that the
debconf note might be translated to the user's language, which would be
nice.

Ah, I know how to solve the problem. A new debconf template item type
"news", each associated with a particular version, which are optionally
displayed during the install, and dumped in appropriate order and
language to /usr/share/doc/NEWS.Debian during the install.

Just a Simple Matter of Coding.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland