Re: Managing changes to configure.in as patches

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:15:23PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op wo 07-01-2004, om 13:57 schreef Daniel Kobras:
[...]
> > I usually split it up into two dpatches: eg. 10_foo.dpatch containing all
> > the manual changes, including those to Makefile.am, configure.in etc.,
> > and a 11_foo_fixup.dpatch comprising of the auto-generated changes to
> > Makefile.in, configure etc. Works quite well, and keeps interesting and
> > boring parts apart.

This is not enough, consider e.g. these targets:
  Makefile.in: Makefile.am configure.in aclocal.m4
      cd $(top_srcdir) && $(AUTOMAKE) --gnu Makefile
  aclocal.m4: configure.in
      cd $(srcdir) && $(ACLOCAL)

As aclocal.m4 is generated, you put it in 11_foo_fixup.dpatch with
Makefile.in, so automake is re-run if Makefile.in is patched before
aclocal.m4.

> As an added bonus, this also fixes the issue with patching
> autotools-related files: since patch does not care about timestamps, if
> you create one patch with changes to both configure.in and configure,

The culprit is dpkg-source, not patch.  I sent a fix to #105750.

Denis