Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:07:04PM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:29:58 +0000
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> > > OK, the problem of filing bugs on every individual package, and
> > > praying they get accepted, remains.

> > Don't pray that they get accepted. Take the initiative and NMU in the
> > usual way after some suitable period. Everyone else doing general work
> > on our packages has to do exactly the same thing; what gives
> > translators a different status?

> For one: a lot of them are not DDs, so they can't NMU.

Then they can't upload a *separate* package for the translations either.
And suggesting that users should be comfortable downloading translations
from an archive that doesn't have the same trust network as the rest of
Debian is stupid: it's easy for an untrusted translator to negate the
sense of a debconf question, so translations are just as important as
everything else in a package.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer