Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers (was: Request for NMUs.)

On Tue Jan 06, 2004 at 11:3746AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:01:50AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:25:56 -0600, Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > >At least as I understand it, this is one of the points of Cc-ing the ITP
> > >to debian-devel.
> >
> > Only if ftpmaster were required to ACK or NACK the ITP.
>
> And be held to a decision they've been forced to make before even seeing
> the package? This is patently ridiculous. Don't let sour grapes
> overshadow common sense.

No, I don't think so. Of course it's a bad idea to bind them to their
decision - the final decision is made when the package is uploaded, as
it is at the moment. But if ftpmaster does decide at that moment already
and says the already known facts of the ITP are basically ok/not ok. It
would prevent a waste of work of the packager in case the package is
rejected due to facts that are given in the ITP information, and it
should not increase the workload of ftpmaster significantly, as they
have to deal with the information and make up a decision sooner or later anyway.

--
Michael Bergbauer <michael@noname.franken.de>
use your idle CPU cycles - See http://www.distributed.net for details.