Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers (was: Request for NMUs.)

* Mark Howard <mh@debian.org> [2004-01-03 13:28]:
> Am I the only person appauled by this?

No, of course not.  At the same time, you don't want to piss off
volunteers who have invested much time and energy (at least in the
past).  How do you tell them to move on and let go?  It's a tough
problem.

> Some of his packages have been orphaned, so I'm sure everything
> possible has been done to contact him.

Another important problem is that orphaning a package isn't really a
panacea either.  You'd be surprised how many packages which were
orphaned because the maintainer is inactive are still orphaned 3
months later (and are then often removed).  We also have to think of
better defining and controlling what should enter the archive.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com