Re: Controlling what's in the archive (Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers)

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:52:47PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Maybe requirering co-maintainers would be an idea (or a second from a
> current developer for ITPs). Sponsorship does some of that, but isn't a
> perfect solution.

I was thinking instead to focus on new maintainers. Require all new
maintainers to be co-maintainer on some package, or a member of some
team effort (d-i, X Strike Force, Gnome, KDE, etc) before they can put
a new package in the archive. The one exception to this is adopting an
orphaned package. (Note that this only applies to NM's wanting to be
packagers). This would hopefully prevent archive bloat somewhat, and
also solve the constant whining about finding a sponsor, because the
sponsor would be the comaintainer. They'd also have a mentor
basically built-in to the process, looking over their shoulder to
make sure everything is Ok. Plus it comes with all the "hey, take care
of things while I'm lounging on the beach" goodness.

 - David Nusinow