Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:23:36PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > >  - Gnome
> > >  - KDE
> >
> > I just wondered how far your understanding of these goes? Only the base
> > environment, or also those applications that don't really belong to -
>
> I think that the equivilant metapackages are a good first step. Pity
> that one of them has still not made it into testing, and this means that
> the desktop taks currently contains *only* kde. To look at it in another
> way, we had some complaints about it including both, but the last way I
> would have guessed those would be resolved was by the gnome developers
> recusing themselves from release as they seem to have done.

Despite the fact that meta-gnome2 hasn't yet made it into testing, I
think GNOME is so far in a *much* better state than KDE, actually. The
guts of gnome-core, with one or two exceptions, are there; there are
only a few more dependencies left for gnome. Once nautilus makes it,
which I hope should be RSN, all it would take is somebody quickly
deciding at some point that we can drop a few less-important
dependencies from meta-gnome2 and that'll be it. By contrast, KDE is
still KDE 2 in testing, which in good conscience I don't think we can
release with.

I'm hoping this can change soon, and my impression is that the situation
is beginning to improve.