Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:38:57PM +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
> There are some packages we should have if we want Debian to be a
> general purpose distribution. I guess we can have a long flamewar
> about which packages this includes and in the end it is the release
> manager's decission but it is probally something like:

>  - whatever in the Base Utils-section
>  - Gnome
>  - KDE
>  - nethack
>  - apache
>  - XFree
>  - ssh
>  - Mozilla (some sort of)
>  - Emacs (some sort of)
>  - VI (some sort of)
>  - Perl
>  - LaTeX
>  - ... And then some pacakges I've forgot...

> And then depencies and build-depancies for these packages is needed
> too. Has anyone tried to make such list of packages we can't release
> without and made a list of RC-bugs in excatly those packages?

Colin Watson recently posted an excellent analysis of the python2.3
transition to d-release and d-python, identifying areas requiring
attention.  I'm hoping to follow his lead soon with similar posts
regarding other package groups requiring concerted attention to get into
testing.  Is this sort of thing of sufficient interest that it should be
cross-posted to d-d?

> I believe this is the bugs it would be most effective to actack when
> the packages I'm personally directly interested in. It can be hard to
> look at the RC-list and decide if the time is better spend fixing
> libtse3, libvorbisfile3, or fam.

> A script that reads packages I'm interested in and prints out the
> RC-bugs I should try to fix would be usable. Does anyone have such
> script?

What's hard to see at a glance is how large collections of packages are
interrelated in their dependencies.  Many packages that you *don't* use
may be having a direct effect on the packages you *do* use as a result
of their bugginess.  I'd like to be able to make as much of this
information as possible available to developers, so they can dig into
some of the larger package knots according to their interests rather
than it being exclusively the domain of the RM & assistants.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer