Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

Hi,

Am Do, den 02.10.2003 schrieb Peter Makholm um 12:38:
>  - Gnome
>  - KDE

I just wondered how far your understanding of these goes? Only the base
environment, or also those applications that don't really belong to -
for example - the official Gnome distribution, but are needed to make
the computer useful. I am thinking here of evolution, one of the
browsers (galeon or (better and) epiphany) and gnucash (which has a RC
bug. help. help. :-)). Don't know much about KDE, but I guess there are
also applications not belonging to "the" KDE, but still should go with
it.
Also, please include openoffice in this list. Your list certainly is
right, but it seems to overlook the normal office application user (or
the system administrator, that has to set up large quantities of boxes
for the normal office application user), so I tried to be his advocate
here. Of course, my additions still don't make the list complete.

Maybe the right way to do this is not to look at all the packages that
come to one's mind and think if they are "very important", but to look
at the different "use cases" that come to ones mind, and have a look at
what they need. Some that I think if are the office worker, the web
developer/master, the software developer (including the debian
developer, a very important user group to debian :-)), the one with the
responsibility for security, the designer, and so on. This might be the
best way to check how good we are in our aim to be the "universal OS".

nomeata

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  e-Mail: mail@joachim-breitner.de | Homepage: http://www.joachim-breitner.de