Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

Joachim Breitner <debian@joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> Am Do, den 02.10.2003 schrieb Peter Makholm um 12:38:
>>  - Gnome
>>  - KDE
>
> I just wondered how far your understanding of these goes? Only the base
> environment, or also those applications that don't really belong to -
> for example - the official Gnome distribution, but are needed to make

I'm neither a Gnome nor a KDE user so I don't really know what it
takes for us to have Gnome or KDE. I use some of the Gnome
applications but not Gnome as such.

The main point is that I don't think we can just drop anything outside
base. People expect something of a general purpose distribution.

> Also, please include openoffice in this list. Your list certainly is

I think you 'use cases' are right for where do we want to be but I'm
not sure if they are appropriate for where can we expect to be at the
upcomming release.

We didn't have OpenOffice at last release and it doesn't seem to be in
unstable yet. 'apt-cache search openoffice' only find myspell
dictionaries.

It would be nice to have but I don't count is as something people
would expect from an general purpose distribution yet.

--
 Peter Makholm     |        We constantly have to keep in mind why natural
 peter@makholm.net |    languages are good at what they're good at. And to