Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:49:36 +0100
> It's the same sort of thinking that's causing no end of trouble for people
> trying to communicate with AOL users:

>     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=96264
>     http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/04/13/2215207.shtml?tid=120

    I've got an even better example if not as well publicized.  When SoBig
first hit my address was one that was being spoofed.  I had tracked it to
RoadRunner (rr.com).  I forwarded them an example piece to tell the guy to cut
it out.  I was not yet aware of SoBig.  Anyway they rejected at SMTP because
I am in DSLExtreme's residential block.  Fine, I'll call.  I get the number
for abuse from the whois database.  I get a recording that tells me under no
uncertain terms will they accept phone calls and I must email them directly.
I call into the corporate headquarters and complain to a CCR.  He tells me he
cannot forward my call but is willing to walk over and talk to them directly
if I provide him with the appropriate information.

    After fuming and learning what SoBig was I just let it drop.  A friend
asked if they had postmaster blocked as well.  They did.  I just found it
mildly amusing that I, someone who's ran an SMTP server in residential space
(with blessing from my ISP) for over two years now without a single complaint,
was prevented from complaining about one of *THIER* residential customers who
couldn't figure out he was spewing 100k attachments as fast as his little
cable router could chug them out.  End result: I blacklisted him at the
firewall, had my secondary do the same.  *shrug*

> The difference between what I'm advocating and what you're doing:  run
> SpamAssassin _at_ _SMTP_ _receipt_, not after accepting the message for
> delivery.  Exim4 allows this readily.

    Hell, it has two different methods of doing it.  Exiscan-ACL and SA-Exim.
Exiscan-ACL was just recently added to exim4-daemon-heavy so for all intents
and purposes anyone running Exim4 on a dedicated host already has the
capability for SA filtering at SMTP.