Re: So many packages. So few that I need started at every boot.

begin  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>> > They both don't hurt, and help in case of things that should get nicely
>> > stopped after getting started manually.
>>
>> NACK.
>>
>> An example: Only in runlevel 3 (the default) xdm and aumix (or alsa) is
>> started. If you leave this runlevel both should be stopped. aumix can save
>
> If we are talking SysV here, they should be stopped if you leave the
> runlevel _ONLY_ if there is a stop link in the *destination* runlevel.

But what, if there was also a stop link in the current runlevel, which
means the process isn't running? Or the other case what if in the current
runlevel isn't a start link? What happens if you switch from runlevel S
to 6? I think there should not happen as much, because in the S runlevel
are only few processes were started.

The current file-rc implementation (the author says it bases on sysv-rc)
calls all stop-script in runlevel 6.

>> the last volume levels and mutes all channels, after this. If you switch
>> form runlevel 3 to runlevel 2, aumix saves its settings and mute the
>> channels. A second stop-call at shutdown would lead to save the muted
>> config. aumix can't decide if it has muted the channels before or if this
>> is the last user config.
>
> If you have stop links in runlevel 2 and 6 and 0, Debian's sysv-rc will not
> rerun the initscript while switching between these runlevels AFAIK.

Great. This is the behavior I expect of file-rc.

But at me:
#v+
$ PREVLEVEL=3 /etc/init.d/rc -d 2
rc: 3 -> 2
Reading configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf.
set centerline=here; /etc/init.d/xdm stop
~$ PREVLEVEL=2 /etc/init.d/rc -d 6
rc: 2 -> 6
Reading configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf.
set centerline=here; /etc/init.d/xdm stop; /etc/init.d/cron stop;
/etc/init.d/aumix stop; ...
~$ grep xdm /etc/runlevel.conf
01      0,1,2,6 -               /etc/init.d/xdm
99      -       3,4,5           /etc/init.d/xdm
#v-

Joerg.
end.
--
- StGB §§ 328 Absatz 2, Nr.3 : Mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu
fünf Jahren oder mit Geldstrafe wird bestraft, wer eine