Re: So many packages. So few that I need started at every boot.

On Saturday 27 December 2003 03:59, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 11:07:50AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Do various things that change the links in /etc/rc.*, I was told.  Uh
> > huh, lasted until the next upgrade of that package.  It would be
>
> Make sure you just delete the start links, not the stop ones. That
> should last forever. If you delete all they will be regenerated during
> the next update.

and then have lame "stopping foo" messages for things that are not running?

We as a group need to be more supportive of those on laptops, temporary
internet and the like.  Not everyone has a nice Athlon XP sitting on a cable/
DSL line.

Dan, I can see a maintainer not wanting to bother with a debconf option.  But
at least something like the /etc/default/no_start_foo would be nice as well
as easy to support.