Re: So many packages. So few that I need started at every boot.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> > They both don't hurt, and help in case of things that should get nicely
> > stopped after getting started manually.
>
> NACK.
>
> An example: Only in runlevel 3 (the default) xdm and aumix (or alsa) is
> started. If you leave this runlevel both should be stopped. aumix can save

If we are talking SysV here, they should be stopped if you leave the
runlevel _ONLY_ if there is a stop link in the *destination* runlevel.
Otherwise, behaviour is undefined.

> the last volume levels and mutes all channels, after this. If you switch
> form runlevel 3 to runlevel 2, aumix saves its settings and mute the
> channels. A second stop-call at shutdown would lead to save the muted
> config. aumix can't decide if it has muted the channels before or if this
> is the last user config.

If you have stop links in runlevel 2 and 6 and 0, Debian's sysv-rc will not
rerun the initscript while switching between these runlevels AFAIK.

If you use runlevels and sysv-rc, you'd better have either a start or stop
link in ALL runlevels you use.

  Henrique Holschuh