Re: A maze of twisty little python packages, all different

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO En ce  milieu  de nuit étoilée  du mardi  30 décembre 2003,   vers
> 03:57, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> disait:
>
> > Python, OTOH, is a dependency nightmare.  I removed my mailman backport
> > because of it.  If you do manage to backport python to the point that
> > mailman works fine with it, I will applaud your efforts (and use your
> > mailman backport :P )
>
> Backport from Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@debian.org> works fine here.
>
> ii  mailman        2.1.2-7.woody0 Powerful, web-based mailing list manager
> ii  python         2.1.3-4.3      An interactive object-oriented scripting lan
> ii  python2.2      2.2.1-4.2      An interactive object-oriented scripting lan

It choked in very surprising and silent ways here when certain charset
conversions had to take place inside the mailman code.  Even with the high
amount of traffic we have in utf-8, iso-8859-1 and cp1250 here, it would
silently miss a delivery once per week.

Keep a careful eye on your "shunt" directory.  Trying to re-deliver the
messages that caused trouble would always fail and they would end up in
"shunt" again.  Switching mailman to a sid-based install fixed the problem.
I don't exactly recall the error, but I think it caused python to abend
outside of the mailman code.

If you are not using a backported python, you will hit the bug sooner or
later, I am afraid...

  Henrique Holschuh