Re: A maze of twisty little python packages, all different

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:00:55 +0100, Matthias Klose
<doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>Marc Haber writes:
>> I would like to know if I did something seriously wrong, or if python
>> really sucks _that_ badly. Any hints will be appreciated.
>
>your backport sucks. set DEFAULT_VERSION in debian/rules according to
>what you want. do not change the default version for the target you
>backport to.

woody has python2.1 as default, but ships with 2.2 packages that are
too old for Mailman. According to your statement, a simple recompile
of 2.2's sid package under woody should work, since sid's 2.2 already
has DEFAULT_VERSION=no.

But that doesn't work, since for example python-examples depends on
python (>= 2.2), which cannot be satisfied on a system that has python
2.1 as default python.

Given our release performance of the last years, package maintainers
should expect that their unstable packages will be backported to
"current" stale. Currently, packages using python are almost as
un-backportable as debconf and debhelper because of the huge
dependency/conflicts chain that follows.

Greetings
Marc