Re: GNU within the name (Was: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s))

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:59:10PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> This is a highly scalable naming scheme, and gives us:
>
> Debian GNU/Hurd
> 	The Debian user land with the GNU core system and GNU Hurd
> 	kernel.  This could be "Debian GNU/GNU Hurd" or "Debian GNU"
> 	(I dislike repetition of information.)
>
> Debian GNU/NetBSD
> 	The Debian user land with the GNU core system and the NetBSD
> 	kernel.
>
> Debian NetBSD
> 	The Debian user land with the NetBSD kernel and core system
> 	running on an i386.  Again this could be "Debian NetBSD/NetBSD"
> 	except I dislike repetition.

The problem with your scheme is that the word "Linux" is insufficient to
describe a complete OS, but the words "FreeBSD", "NetBSD", and "OpenBSD" do.
Therefore, "GNU/FreeBSD" does not imply the same thing that "GNU/Linux" does.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>