Re: GNU within the name (Was: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s))

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:56:15PM +0100, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> viro@www.linux.org.uk wrote:
> > If we ever get a replacement libc that would really work as
> > replacement... on such system GNU claims would become much weaker.  Not
> > that there was a serious chance of that happening - drop-in replacement
> > of glibc on Linux would be a lot of work and so far none of the
> > alternative libc projects had tried to pull that off.
>
> Why would anyone want to replace GLIBC in the first place?  To get rid of "GNU" in "GNU/Linux"?

glibc has its problems and alternative libc implementations do exist (mostly
for embedded use), but AFAIK none of them tries to become a full-blown thing.

As for the reasons why somebody would do such replacement...  Beats me - ask
the guy who'd brought that up.  IMO it's very unlikely, to put it mildly.