Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:21:24AM -0800, Nunya wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:41:12AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> >
> > "The Christian concept of a demon is a corruption (as it were) of the Greek
> > concept of daemon"
>
> Basically, no arguments with what you said, except I find inconsistent
> the fact that "the original guys said it's a daemon, explicitly not a
> Christian demon" and here's you're saying "yes it is." :-)

Er, no. I'm not. I'm saying that Christian demons are derived from Greek
daemons; that isn't the same statement as them being the same thing. I also
said that I consider it polite to respect the general BSD wish to *not* be
associated with demons, as opposed to daemons.

It's a subtle point, granted. It's also why I'm willing to grant as much
leeway as I am to folks who feel uncomfortable about using demon names -
as long as we have reasonable alternatives. Which I think we do, at this
point.

Debian Nuggen, Debian Nienna, Debian Nori... hey, I like that last one, if
it gets me sushi...
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/NetBSD(i386) porter                                       : :' :