Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 01:05:24 +1000, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 10:34:45AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
>> > Seriously, I think you need to reconsider having the configuration in
>> > a separate package.
>> > What're you trying to achieve exactly?
>> Allowing for different configuration mechanismn. And I (as a user of
>> exim4) like that very much.
>
>There are plenty of things that could be described that way that don't
>involve having separate packages. There's a reason the word "exactly"
>appeared in the question above.

For example, the place I work has a package exim4-config-ilkserver
based on exim4-config-medium. That package installs without debconf
questions and contains a configuration that is suitable to our
non-main servers. It, for example, only delivers mail to local
accounts that are especially configured to receive mails.

When we need to change that configuration, the only thing necessary is
to build a new version of exim4-config-ilkserver and to put it on our
distribution server. cron-apt will automatically pull the new config
to the servers and optionally install it automatically. When a new
Debian version of exim4 is released, the binary packages can be
updated without affecting configuration. And if exim4's config file
format changes or our config starts using features only present beyond
exim 4.foo, we can use the Dependency mechanism to prevent
non-matching binary and config packages from being installed.

This is a great thing, and I like that idea very much.

Greetings
Marc